Monday, April 16, 2012

I [Learn] in the Corridor

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."
 - Christopher Columbus 

One of the biggest blessings of my life has been my decision to choose Mercer University for college. The ever-growing private university nestled among a little bit of art, southern hospitality, and historic homes caught my eye and has captured my heart. I cannot imagine going anywhere else for undergraduate work--the professors are amazing, the community is so spirited and lively, and the students are some of the most determined leaders I have ever met. Only being a sophomore allows me two more years to learn in the Corridor, and I could not be more excited about that!

On Mercer's campus, you are going to stay busy!
Thanks to the University for sharing this photo of Mercer Village. 
With a little Mercer spirit on my mind, I decided to meet former Student Government Association (SGA) President Trent White and outgoing SGA President Jordan Locke for some Jittery Joe's Coffee. Both Trent and Jordan were interns for College Hill in the spring of last year, so we were able to swap intern stories. With both guys graduating in a short month, I thought it was the perfect time to ask some questions about what it really means to learn in the Corridor. For Jordan, a sociology and accounting major at Mercer, urban revitalization akin to what is taking place in the Corridor has been a special learning experience. Trent has been able to apply his international health and development major to forge partnerships with area leaders, like Community Health Works, to work towards alleviating childhood obesity in Macon. As the guys put it, "Macon provides a great opportunity to not just learn on Mercer's campus but experience the world on larger scale." Jordan commented that he would not trade living in Macon for the past four year for anything--and that makes me smile! The two remind me that the Corridor is a great place to live, work, and learn. As Trent pointed out, one of the greatest lessons he has learned living here has been the meaning of community.

Two of my favorites! Thanks Jordan, for letting me borrow from your Facebook :)

College Hill supporting the Bears at a home game.
We ended our chat with a little bit of advice for a first year at Mercer (got to admit, even being a sophomore, I was taking notes). Jordan and Trent emphasized the importance of making Macon home when coming to Mercer. Macon is your home just as much as the university is, and the city has a lot to offer! Instead of waiting for your FYS class or an upperclassman to show you what the city has in store for you, go check it out for yourself. Trent and Jordan agreed that getting plugged in "not just at Mercer, but in the community as a whole" can make your experience that much better. And I could not agree more. Enjoy these last few weeks of school, Bears, because we sure are fortunate to call Mercer home!

No comments:

Post a Comment