Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I [Work] in the Corridor

"Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life." 
-Confucius 

Halfway through my college career I decided it was a great time to change majors from psychology to business marketing. Around the same time, I applied and interviewed for an internship with the College Hill Alliance. Both of these decisions have opened some doors for me this year that I have thoroughly enjoyed exploring. Through my internship, I have discovered that I have a real passion for community and urban development. I like to think of it as polishing "hidden gem" towns, similar to Macon. A job like that, I imagine, would be a lot of work but would also be very rewarding. 

Thanks MGA for letting us borrow from your Facebook photo!

Speaking of rewarding work, Amy Abel-Kiker recently explained to me what her job with Mid Georgia Ambulance entails. Amy has put her communications and journalism double major from Mercer University to good use as she now handles all things under the umbrella of media relations, public relations, social media, marketing, and special events for the company. Amy really credits her position now to the opportunities Mercer gave her because, as she says, "Mercer University facilitates an environment where anyone can make a difference." That kind of attitude is the very thing that keeps Mercer graduates in Macon after school to work. Amy admits she wanted to stay in Macon after graduation to work but did not think, at the time, a job would become available. But then, as she describes it, "the right job found me, and it is more of a blessing than I deserve." This opportunity is what allowed Amy to remain living in the town she considered a second home as an undergraduate student. 

Rich Inner Life on Typepad: Thanks for letting me share this sweet photo!
As Amy shares with me, there are many positives to planting your stakes in Macon to live and work. A town this size allows the opportunity for people to get involved in what they are truly passionate about and to voice their opinions politically and socially in local decision-making. You are able to achieve a sense of belonging, whether it is through membership in a local neighborhood association, through the walkability to almost anything in the Corridor, or through the familiar faces passing you at the local store or on the street. As an alumnae of Mercer, Amy also still feels very connected to the University community and still feels very included. 

With all that being said, Macon is a great place to work, live, and play! You may just find your calling here if you are listening for it :)

- Kelsey Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment