Thursday, July 5, 2012

I [Celebrate] in the Corridor

Freedom is never given; It is won.

-Philip Randolph


I hope everyone had a truly happy Fourth of July!  My holiday was filled with holiday sales, cooking, and, of course, fireworks! I didn't have a grill, but I cooked my first rack of ribs and they were delicious. I moved into my new apartment at Mercer University just in time to see someone's incredible fireworks display right outside my apartment too. I visited different areas of the Corridor to see what others were doing for America's birthday.

Every Independence Day I call my father to see what he is up to for the holiday.  As a National Guard veteran, he appreciates this day  more than a great day for grilling.  "It's great to live in a country where I can travel from state to state without being stopped.  I love America and I'm so glad I live here," he said to me yesterday afternoon.  Last night, he decided to celebrate the day by going downtown to view the fireworks along with many others. 

I stopped by College Hill's Second Sunday site, Washington Park, to see what families were there to celebrate the holiday.  I stumbled upon Karina Lewis and her family who decided to have a picnic under the shade for the day.  Despite the heat, they were having a great time! Her mother, a soldier for the U.S. Army, makes her family celebrate this day rain or shine.  Grills are not allowed at the park so they had an array of food brought from home for everyone to enjoy.

Mercer Student, Jakyll Henry, chose to have a barbeque with some close friends in his home off of Ross Street.  "The weather is hot, but so is the grill," he told me.  They cooked ribs, hamburgers, hotdogs, and chicken with their special barbeque sauce.  The ribs were no match for mine, but I had to take an extra plate of that chicken home with me.  When I asked what Independence Day meant to him, Jakyll replied, "It's a day where I can be thankful that I was born in a country that gives me a great education and freedom."

This was a great Fourth of July for me and I hope you can say the same. No matter how you celebrate Independence Day, remember why we celebrate it.  Celebrate with family, with friends, with food. Just remember, there is plenty to celebrate in the Corridor!

No comments:

Post a Comment